Monday, October 24, 2011

Mermaid Tail costume

I was at Joann's fabric the other day buying supplies when a girl came up to me and asked for sewing advice. Turns out she was trying to make a mermaid tail for her costume and needed someone to help her figure out how to make it work. Apparently none of the Joann's employees know how to sew (shouldn't that be a prerequisite to a job there???) and she was just asking various customers for advice.
I told her that I'd be more than happy to help her and if she wanted, do it for her. I had her buy the materials and pay for my time (about $12 an hour...WAY undercharged, but she's in college, so it's good for us both!) and that I'd finish it for her.
She came for a fitting and two days later the skirt was finished. It was a huge learning project for me as I'd never sewn the sequined material before. It has officially been dubbed "Satan's Fabric" in my household as it was by far the hardest, most obnoxious fabric I have ever worked with! The sequins are glued on which means as you sew, it gums up the needle. NEVER AGAIN! Complaints aside, looks pretty sweet ass to me and fits her like a glove! Rather than using a traditional bustle random tuck, I used a vertical tuck for the stitches to give it a fishy tail type effect. We left the skirt short in the front to show off her fabulous legs (damn her.) as well as to help keep the skirt from becoming a trip hazard as she walks...we kept thee tail long in the back.
I've asked her if she'd be okay sending me photos of it on her this Halloween, so expect some even better pics later.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment